Friday, March 12, 2010

RENTAL

I saw another woman wearing your ass today.
Walking around town as if she owned the sweet thing
As if we wouldn’t know that it wasn’t just a rental;
Something she procured for a night on the town
Maybe wearing to an awards show
A graduation
A hot first date
Perhaps adding extra oomph
To an important job interview.
But I know better
Magnificent behinds like that don’t grow on knees.
I know by how my body reacts
How the precarious laptop shimmies
Like my hymn book rose and fell
back in Sunday School
where at age 12, I first caught a glimpse
of AP’s cottoned crotch
and wouldn’t dare stand for half an hour
no matter how badly I felt I had to piss.

~ for Randi, Feb 15, 2007

For those who have already read this on my poetry blog, apologies for the repetition. Just thought it fit nicely in this forum.

No comments: